If you’re fortunate enough, like I am, to have a family member who decided to record his or her thoughts, or had their own audio project going, sifting through the material and deciding how to make art out of it is both challenging and exciting. I’ll share some of those challenges and my process as I take my late grandfather’s labour of love and try to pay homage to his memory while also taking the participants through a beginner’s lesson in Audacity. I’ll share what I have done to ensure that other members of my family are remembered through audio (my favourite medium) for me to mash up or otherwise turn into a legacy I can pass on to future generations.
Key Take Aways
- Basics of using Audacity, the free audio editing software
- One person's creative process that others can use as a starting point
- How to organize your material
- How to stay motivated enough to keep going
- Keeping the past alive and vital